Thursday, January 27, 2005

Sweeney Todd: The Movie

My favorite musical of all time, Stephen Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, is (supposedly) being made into a movie directed by the immensely talented Sam Mendes. Though as of yet no other details have been released, the real test of the film will lie in the casting. Should they cast actors who can sing or vice versa? Should they try and please the fan base of the original show or attempt a broader appeal with big names? I have come up with a few of my own ideas, though I don’t know if all of the actors listed below can sing. Some of my favorites are starred.

Mrs Lovett:
Juliet Stevenson
Brenda Blethyn
Emma Thompson*

Sweeney Todd:
Victor Garber
Terence Stamp

Joanna:
Emmy Rossum
Anne Hathaway

Anthony:
Ewan MacGregor*
Orlando Bloom
Ioan Gruffud

Judge:
Michael Gambon
Ian McKellen
Christopher Lee

Beadle:
Bob Hoskins
Timothy Spall

Pirelli:
Jim Broadbent
Richard Roxburgh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home